Are you looking for a quick weight loss plan? Then, the cabbage soup diet might help in burning your body fat. This diet involves eating an excess amount of cabbage soup for at least seven days.
As cabbage soup is low in calories, carbohydrates, and proteins, one should not take it for more than a week at a time. A person following a cabbage soup diet can lose at least 4.5 kilos within a week as it reduces the intake of calories.
While, taking this diet you can consume certain foods like vegetables, fruits and skim milk. The soup is prepared by mixing together vegetables along with cabbage and some amount of meat. It is also said that one may regain the lost weight. While taking this diet you will eat less than 1000 calories and with this, you will also lose water weight.
During the course of this diet, your food will tea or black coffee and ample amounts of water. You can add some low-calorie vegetables such as zucchini, kale, and spinach. Apart from these, you can add black beans for texture and protein, some seasonings such as bay leaves and garlic powder.
Here’s a guide as to how to start with the cabbage soup diet? It tells you how you can start with this diet and what precautions you should take while on this diet.
Benefits of cabbage
Cabbage belongs to the Brassica genus that includes cauliflower, kale, and broccoli. It comes in different types of shapes and colors, such as red and purple. It contains vitamins and minerals.
Cabbage has lutein and zeaxanthin apart from flavonoids kaempferol and apigenin. Lutein and zeaxanthin are known as carotenoid vitamins that are related to beta-carotene and vitamin A. They work as a light filter and protect the eye tissues from causing damage from sunlight.
Cabbage has soluble fiber which helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels by binding the cholesterol in the gut. It also has substances called phytosterols that are similar to cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol by blocking the absorption of cholesterol.
Mentioned below are certain health benefits associated with cabbage:
It is packed with nutrients
Cabbage has a small number of micronutrients, vitamin A and iron. It is rich in vitamin B6 and folate, both of them are required for different processes in the body. This vegetable contains antioxidants, polyphenols, and sulfur compounds. Cabbage is high in vitamin C that protects against heart disease, cancer, and loss in vision.
It keeps inflammation in moderation
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that has different antioxidants that reduce chronic inflammation. This condition occurs over a long period of time and is associated with diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and heart disease.
It aids digestion
Eating cabbage helps in keeping your digestive system healthy. The soup contains insoluble fiber that regulates bowel movements.
It keeps your heart healthy
Red cabbage has compounds known as anthocyanins. They are pigments that belong to the flavonoid. Studies have shown that increasing the intake of flavonoids helps in reducing the risk of coronary artery disease.
It lowers blood pressure
Red cabbage contains potassium that helps in reducing high blood pressure and keeps it in range.
It reduces the level of cholesterol: Cholesterol is important for the proper functioning of the body. Individuals with high cholesterol are prone to heart disease, especially when they have increased the level of bad cholesterol. Cabbage has substances that help in reducing the levels of LDL cholesterol.
What you can have along with a cabbage soup diet?
There are different types of recipes for preparing the soup. You can add a small number of tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms. One should add the following ingredients to this diet:
1st Day: Fruits
2nd Day: Leafy vegetables
3rd Day: Fruits and veggies
4th Day: Skim milk
5th Day: Beef
6th Day: Beef and vegetables
7th Day: Brown rice and fruit juices
Ingredients required in making cabbage soup
Listed-below are some of the ingredients required to make this soup are:
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 onions
- Green peppers
- Large tomato
- Garlic cloves
- Coriander leaves and some black and white pepper for garnishing
How to prepare Cabbage soup?
You will find many recipes for preparing cabbage soup online. Here we guide you on how to make this soup and you can match the ingredients according to your taste. Mentioned below are certain steps that are required for making cabbage soup:
- Firstly, chop all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Then, boil the broth in a container.
- Add all the required ingredients and mix them well.
- Cover and boil the soup, then put the soup at sim for at least 15 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Season the soup with salt, coriander leaves, and pepper
- Then serve it hot.
While on the cabbage soup diet, it is advised to take as much amount you want to have. The more soup you will have, you will reduce more weight.
Does the cabbage soup diet really work?
The cabbage soup diet is low in calories – hence one will eventually lose weight. This diet might help you to lose weight, but there are chances that you may gain again when you stop following this diet. When you strictly lower your calorie consumption or lose some weight, the body reacts by reducing the metabolic rate and lowers the amount of calories burn every day.
Taking a cabbage soup diet results might help you in losing weight. But it may not be a healthy process as you might miss out on important micronutrients. It is advised to be careful while taking this diet. Once the diet ends, you may experience nausea due to the smell of the soup. If you are living a hectic life that involves a lot of physical activity, then it may cause harm. This diet includes consumption of fruits and vegetables that are low in calories and high in fiber.
Things to keep in mind while taking a cabbage soup diet
While taking a cabbage soup diet, it is advised not to exercise as there is a low-calorie intake. The body will not have enough gas for doing exercise. There are not enough chances to make changes in the diet as it does not contain fat. You mostly eat vegetables. But it is not completely vegetarian also it contains meat also.
A cabbage soup diet is a crash diet and it gives quick results. But it should not be taken for the long-term. This diet already lacks nutrients that are necessary for the body. This diet restricts calorie intake and helps in detoxifying your body. If you are healthy and do not have any issue, it is advised to take this diet only after consulting a doctor.
Certain food items that should be avoided during this diet are:
Mentioned below are some health conditions that are associated with this diet:
- Lack of concentration
- Muscle loss
Facts you should know about cabbage soup diet
Mentioned below are some of the interesting facts you should know about this diet are:
- Effort: This diet is quite easy to follow. The amount of effort required to follow this diet is medium.
- Demerits: The ingredients required in this soup are limited and might seem boring. An individual who wishes to lose weight can go for this diet but not for more than 2 weeks.
- Shopping: One should buy vegetables to prepare this soup. Make sure you have a full bowl of soup.
- Packaged food: No, it is suggested not to have any type of packaged food during this period.
- Cost: The only money you need to spend is on the ingredients. You can take references from some websites that promote supplements of nutrients that one does not get from food. Hence, it is suggested to stick to the cabbage soup diet.
- Exercise: It is advised not to exercise while taking this diet as the calorie intake is low. Therefore, your body will not have enough energy to exercise.
Drawbacks of the cabbage soup diet
The main problem with diet is that it cannot be continued for more than one or two weeks. It cannot be followed for the long-term. When you are taking enough calories, the body uses stored glycogen in the form of energy and discards extra water. The moment you take a regular diet, the body rebuilds the stones and may cause weight gain.
Another problem with this diet is that it lacks nutrients. It has mineral and vitamin value and provides no protein. As this diet is very bland, you may find it difficult to last for the whole week. Taking a cabbage soup diet for 2 weeks may have certain harmful effects on your body.
- It is extremely low in calories: The food taken along this diet is extremely low in calories. Hence, it will be tough for an individual to get 1000 calories every day. This is the minimum number of calories required to stabilize weight.
- It does not offer enough nutrients: This diet has no protein, low in fat, calories and carbohydrates. Also, it is strictly low on vitamin and mineral content. There is no risk of mineral and vitamin deficiencies if the diet is followed for at least a week, especially when you are taking a multivitamin. You might feel weakness and dizziness while taking this diet.
- It may cause cramping and flatulence: The cabbage soup diet is high in fiber and hence a lot of fitness freaks complain about cramping and flatulence.
- It changes the blood sugar levels: People with diabetes should be cautious while taking this diet. The low carb and calorie may cause changes in your blood sugar levels. It is actually not advisable for such people to do a crash diet.
- It may result in gallbladder issues: Cases of gallstones or having gallbladder blockages have been common for people who followed the cabbage soup diet for a long time. Gallstones can be caused due to weight loss.
Does taking a cabbage soup diet helps in satiety?
Research says that this diet supports regularity and satiety depending on the fact that it has high fiber. The non-digestible component of fiber is helpful in maintaining the regularity of stools. The soluble fiber enables you to add water that remains in your stool by making it easier to pass through the intestines. The insoluble fiber adds bulk to the fecal material that promotes its passage through the intestine. It also prevents constipation. Most doctors recommend men and women in the age group of 19-50 to have at least 38 and 25 grams of fiber in their diet respectively.
This diet is quite safe as long taken for a period of one week. The long-term use of this diet is not advised as it is low in fat, protein, and other nutrients. You may feel weak due to a lack of nutrition or feel tired while taking this diet. It depends on the recipe of the cabbage soup if it is high in sodium. This can be an issue for those having high blood pressure or those individuals having a low-sodium diet.
Individuals with cholesterol issues and a rise in blood sugar should never take a cabbage soup diet. It is suggested to take a balanced diet without excess salt and sugar. One should exercise for at least 5 days and take plenty of water regularly. Are you looking for cabbage soup diet reviews? Then, you can get enough information on the internet. But it is suggested to consult a doctor before taking this diet.
Proper care should be taken by people suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure, and other ailments. Cabbage soup diet is easier to follow than other types of diet. Apart from making an excessive quantity of cabbage soup, there is not much preparation required. It is mainly due to a lack of variety in this diet due to which people do not continue this diet for long. You are fine to go with this diet if you have an event approaching, but for the long-term, it might not work. It is suggested to take this diet under medical supervision only. So, you can start having cabbage soup, but do not make it the main part of your diet.