As much as we may not promote the usage of weed (better known as marijuana), one cannot deny that it has medicinal usage, and is a necessary medical ingredient in dealing with certain specific psychological issues. Having said that, at times, one does like to take a puff or two, here and there, and apart from the high, it also does leave a dank smell in the area where you are puffing. So, whether its your home, your couch, your clothes, or your car – we’ll tell you how to get rid of weed smell at the earliest!
Apart from that, this content will also give you some ways to prevent it in the first place and suggest some alternatives to enjoying a cannabis puff, without smoking it up. Let’s get started –
Table of Contents
How to get rid of weed smell from your home?
To get rid of weed’s smell from your home, there are a couple of hacks you can try. They are –
Open the windows and let the airflow
The easiest and definitely the best way to remove the stubborn cannabis smell. Once you are done with the smoking, just open up the windows of your home. When the air flows, assuredly, the fresh oxygen mixes with the stanky atmosphere of the home, and the weed smell is reduced within a maximum of 2-3 hours.
Essential oils diffuser
Essential oils are just the solution to every problem. From skin issues to home issues, lavender, peppermint, and tea tree oil can deal with weed smell. Put on the diffuser with your choicest oil and let it burn for at least a minimum of 1-2 hours to get the desired results. For this, do not dilute the essential oil with any carrier oil. If at all, then use very less quantity of the carrier oil.
Burning aromatic candles and incense
This is one of the most used tricks for anyone looking to get some ideas on how to get rid of weed smell. Aromatic candles (especially the lavender ones, or the floral ones) and incense sticks are some of the most-used tricks to remove the dank cannabis smell. Light them for at least 3-4 hours to attain the complete result.
You must already know that sodium bicarbonate is a well-known odor-removing agent. The fact that it can be used anywhere implies you can sprinkle it almost on everything – carpets, rugs, sofa sets, bed covers, or even make a solution out of it and wipe your floor with it to remove the smell.
Brew some strong coffee
The smell of strong coffee can mask any smell, even if it is of weed! To ensure that your apartment or flat has got rid of the smell, brewing the arabica or robusta seeds is the best option. To add to the aroma of the beverage, place some seeds on the coffee tray.
Air freshener is the last resort
Apart from the techniques mentioned above, an air freshener is a must! You can try this technique either on its own, or even as a last measure, once the weed smell is almost gone with any of the strategies mentioned in this content. If you don’t have any air freshener at home, the regular perfume or deo also works.
How to get rid of the lingering smell?
If you have been smoking marijuana for a long time now and your house now perennially smells of marijuana – how would you deal with that? Wipe your walls with a mild detergent. In case of stubborn odor, you can also try the vinegar water solution. Blend water and white vinegar in a 3:1 ratio, and clean your walls with that. Additionally, vacuum the carpets and clean your curtains and fabrics regularly.
What if you are in a rush?
Here’s sampling a scenario – you’ve just had your pot session and got a call now that some close ones are coming over. Then, what will you do in a rush? How to get rid of weed smell or even try masking it temporarily? Here are some handy tips for the same –
- Whether a ceiling fan or a box fan, open the windows of your house and put on the fan at full speed. It would be better if you could put the box fan near the window since the effect would be much better.
- Next, it’s time to put washable upholstery in the washing machine. For the uninformed, the smoke of weed is more prone to linger in gap-like areas and fabrics. So, empty the trashcans, put the towels, cushion covers, and curtains of the room you smoked in – the washing machine, at least temporarily.
- Pop some popcorn! You wouldn’t believe how the smell of popcorn almost overpowers every other smell in the room.
- Lastly, use a strong floral air freshener in your room, and on your couches to mask the smell.
These cleaning hacks will help you save the day temporarily.
How to get rid of weed smell from yourself?
It is quite a difficult task to take off the smell of weed from your hair and clothes (yes, they are sticky!)
Here are some hacks for the same –
- Brush your teeth, and then use an odor-removing cleansing solution. If it’s not available, get yourself a mint or chewing gum.
- As far as the clothes are concerned, use a normal washing powder. After that go in for a second rinse with white vinegar. That would remove the smell.
- Want to know how to get rid of weed smell? We’ll tell you the hack! Start by letting your hair down, and wheeze it in the air (30-45 minutes in the sun is good enough). Use a deodorant and a scented moisturizer. Lastly, shampoo your hair with a strong-smelling one.
- To remove this smell from your clothes, the first hack is dunking your clothes in deo! The next thing you must do is – hang the clothes in the sun.
- Apart from that, you can soak them in a solution of concentrated baking soda and then run them in the normal washing cycle. After washing, bleach them and dry them in the sun.
These are some of the ways by which you can remove the smell of weed from yourself.
How to get rid of weed smell from your car?
Getting stoned in the car is definitely not one of the best ideas, but in case, you have had your moment and now wish to know how to get rid of the smell, here are some tips for the same.
- Downing your windows is the first step you can take. When you are taking the car for a ride, after your smoking session, you can simply open the window and wait for the smell to go away by itself.
- The next thing you can try is using a car spray or odor-absorbing spray in the car. Normally, spraying it copiously should work. Spray it and wait for 60-90 minutes before you down the car’s windows.
- You can also rack up your kitchen for a hack! Spread some baking soda on the car mats, and upholstery to remove the smell completely.
- In case, the above-mentioned procedures do not work, and you want to learn some other ways as to how to get rid of weed smell in your car you can always look for – cleaning your entire car. Clear out the trash (this you must do even before spraying it), and vacuum your car. After that shampoo the cushions, floor mats, upholstery, and ceilings. Clean the air filters and spray the car with freshener. Lastly, place a gel freshener or oil diffuser in the car.
- Lastly, keep some dryer sheets handy in your car, and if and when you do take a puff in the car, place them in the gaps of the cushions since those are areas that easily pick up the smell.
Any of the tips mentioned above works wonders in terms of removing weed odor from your car. If a single tip does not work, you can always combo two of the tips together.
How to prevent it in the first place?
To not smoke indoors is the first way out surely, but, if at all, then – getting specific jars, and vapes that are categorically made for marijuana puffing are your best alternatives. Apart from that, you can also smoke in showers and bathroom areas wherein the smoke binds up with oxygen and other air particles and does not spread overall.
Another pre-cleaning hack to try is – getting HEPA format air filters. They are excellent air-purifiers and can mask the smell like it has never happened! So, before you puff up your pot, its time to put on those air filters at full speed to ease ventilation and ensure that the smell doesn’t stay.
Lastly, you must remember that certain strains of weed smell more versus others. So, if you intend on smoking indoors, it is better to get the less smelly strains than the others, so that removing the smell becomes easier.
Some alternatives to try out
This is specifically for those who consume medical marijuana. Apart from smoking it up, you can also use vaporizers, or get yourself edible marijuana. For the unversed, the edible form is found as candies, gummies, or in form of baked goodies. There are marijuana tinctures available in licensed pharmacies, suitable for patients, who require it regularly.
Whether it is medicinal or you taking a quick puff, the thing with weeds is the characteristically stanky smell, that seems to stay on for days, if you are not careful. Therefore, it is better that you gather some tips on how to get rid of weed smell and also follow some precautions so that your room does not smell of it. Additionally, it is advised that you stay off it. If medicinal, be cautious of the dosage and don’t go overboard since if not controlled, it could be fatal. If you liked this content and wish to add some more information on the same, do mention your comments below. Keep following this page, to get more enlightening posts like this!
1. How to get rid of weed smell completely?
To completely get rid of the weed smell you can burn candles or incense sticks, brew some coffee, simmer some spicy dishes, use air filters, use essential oils, put some room freshener or a bit of home-cleaning disinfectant solution.
2. How long does weed smell stay?
Technically speaking the weed smell stays for 3-5 hours after your last cigarette. That again depends on the strain you smoked or how well you could mask it.
3. Does different strains of weed have different smells?
Though there is no specified olfactory divisions of weed smell, however, it is true that different strains does have different smells.
Monalisa Mukherjee is a content writer and copywriter with close to 3 years of experience. She has written for websites like Biography Talk, Contour Cafe, He And She Fitness and Fiction Pad. She is currently associated with a noted Digital Marketing Agency and specialises in writing articles for travel, entertainment, cooking, celeb, lifestyle, tech, health, fashion and film news.